Who We Are
Petaling Jaya Gospel Hall (PJGH) is an evangelical brethren church with a congregation that spans all age groups. Members are committed to studying the word of God, prayerful fellowship and care for each other, reaching the community at large, as well as global mission support. With the guidance of the Holy Spirit, we endeavour to follow the example our Lord Jesus Christ set for us.
The full congregation meets for worship on Sundays, with smaller Care & Share Groups gathering for Bible study and prayer during the week on a fortnightly basis. There are also various ministries that cater to different age groups and interests.
At PJGH, we are delighted to welcome both believers and seekers into our family.
History of PJGH
In the late 1950s, the leaders of Venning Road Chapel in Kuala Lumpur realized that the small new village of Petaling Jaya, set up during the Emergency, was fast growing to be a satellite town. They applied for, and subsequently obtained, a half acre site along Jalan Gasing for a church building.
Some Christians of Venning Road Chapel who were residing in Petaling Jaya met for their first prayer meeting on 16th February 1957 in one of their homes.
The actual church building (Petaling Jaya Gospel Hall) was completed in early March 1959 and the inaugural service was held on Saturday, 21st March 1959.
With church growth over the years, an outreach centre (The Life Chapel) was established in Section 17 during the mid-1960s. On 1st July 1967, it became autonomous.
The need to expand in the rapidly developing SEA Park area started with the Sunday School ministry which was held in various homes until a shoplot at No,22 Jalan SS2/103 was acquired in 1980. This became the SS Gospel Centre (SSGC).
The vision to expand further came in early 1985 and the leaders decided to start an outreach work in the growing township of Subang Jaya. A shoplot was rented in October and the first worship service was held on 3rd December 1989. The centre was named Subang Jaya Gospel Centre (SJGC).
The next outreach centre planned was in Bandar Sunway, another rapidly growing area. In September 1991 a terrace house at No. 46, Jalan PJS 7/4 was rented and this soon became known as Bandar Sunway Gospel Centre (BSGC).
In 1993 the leaders started yet another centre in the fast-growing Puchong area and called it Bandar Puchong Gospel Centre (BPGC). An inaugural worship service was held on 2nd July 1995.
Starting from January 2000, SSGC, SJGC, BSGC were recognised as autonomous assemblies and later BPGC also became an autonomous assembly. Petaling Jaya Gospel Hall remained at the original Jalan Gasing site.
We acknowledge that God has been faithful in numerous ways and we are deeply grateful to Him. By His grace and mercy, we have crossed the threshold of another decade in this 21st century. Therefore, let us hold fast to the truth of God and unitedly step forward in complete obedience to His commands for “HE MUST REIGN.”(1 Corinthians 15:25)